A Natural Gas Bill of $40.40 in January—in Minnesota
Peter Vujovich and his wife, Jill Lucas, built a farmhouse that earned gold certification—the highest possible— from Minnesota Green Star, the state green building standard. Imagine having a home with these natural gas bills ($40.40 for a January and $21.34 for a February). Pretty nice, eh? One of the green features incorporated to attain such low costs is the geothermal system that heats and cools the 2,800-square-foot house.
Peter is the founder and co-owner of Vujovich Design Build of Minneapolis and Afton and he brought his many years of experience to this property he named “The Idea Farm”. Other green features of the property include:
- 12,000-gallon tank that collects rainwater.
- Metal roofing on the main house, carriage house, and bar.
- Engineered passive solar and passive ventilation systems.
- Reclaimed wood flooring.
- LED and CFL alternative lighting systems.
- Cement Siding and exterior trim.
Read the whole story about this energy-efficient and sustainable home: